Friday, September 7, 2012

On ties that BIND et al...


This is an observation piece from a passionate life lived, loved and really enjoyed along the journey so far.

Driving up to the burn, me and my friend Matthew go into the thick of it about the fleeting nature of time and the importance of the moment.

Burning Man itself is a good reflection of life, from dust to dust. The place comes together and falls apart in a space of a couple of months, all said and done. The desert comes to life and then goes back to being a desert for and after the time that burning man needs from the desert.

With that perspective in mind, the thesis we worked out was, things being so fleeting and temporal, how does it impact our relationships and ties that bind.

I had to leave my little child and wife behind to attend the event and it had it’s share of heartburn and emotional upheaval to deal with, I realized some of the emotions that Buddha must have felt when he undertook his journey to enlightenment a long long time ago.

The net of the argument was that our relationships with things material and immaterial should have a healthy distance between us and the said things. Try not to be “consumed” by any such relationship. There is the healthy distance and then there is unhealthy distance, both too close and too far. Too close and you will be consumed, too far and you will be lost or whatever you have a relationship with will be lost to you.

In my journey this has been a truism about any and everything that I have touched and actively cognized once I reached a state of maturity where I understood how the world works and more importantly how I worked and what made me click as an individual and a human being.

Hope this little piece helps the reader in understanding the notion of healthy distance.

Thank you for your time.

No comments: